Parish Council‎ > ‎Minutes‎ > ‎

June 12, 2017

Clayhidon Parish Council Meeting

 held in the Parish Hall at 7.30pm on Monday 12th June 2017



1.                  Present 

Mr R Kallaway (Chair), Mr M Bendle, Mr J Blackmore, Mr R Drew, Mrs S Hay, Mr G Langford, Mr F Rosamond (District Councillor) and Mrs D Evans (Parish Clerk).

Apologies:  Mrs A Weekes (received and accepted) and Councillor R Radford (County Councillor).


2.                  Declarations of Interest

Agenda item 5.1 - Mr M Bendle declared that he had a personal interest as the applicant is a neighbour.


3.                  Minutes from previous meetings

PROPOSAL:  The council minutes of the meeting of 10th April are approved.     

PROPOSED:  Mr Langford 

SECONDED:  Mr Blackmore

DECISION: passed (all in favour)


PROPOSAL:  The council minutes of the meeting of 8th May are approved.     

PROPOSED:  Mr Langford 

SECONDED:  Mr Bendle

DECISION: passed (all in favour)

Clerk to check she has corrected the reference to laurel with regard to Wiltown Turbary.












4.                  Public Participation

Nothing to report     


5.                   Planning

Applications considered for:-

5.1       17/00820/HOUSE.  Rosegarland Barn, Clayhidon.  Erection of two storey rear extension.

PROPOSAL:  The council supports the application.  

PROPOSED:  Mr Langford 


DECISION: passed (all in favour).  Mr Bendle abstained from voting.

Permission granted noted for:-

5.2       17/00449/HOUSE.  Bollhayes Park Farm, Clayhidon.  Erection of garden room and associated landscaping.

5.3       17/00465/HOUSE.  Highfields, Clayhidon.  Erection of replacement sunroom and porch.

5.4       17/00578/CLU.  Glebe Farm, Clayhidon.  Certificate of lawfulness for the existing dwelling built not in accordance with the approved plans of Planning Permissions EN.6150/1/1 for a period in excess of 4 years.


6.                   Matters Arising

6.1             ‘Unsuitable for HGVs’ signs – Mr Drew will erect the remaining signs around the parish.

6.2             Parish Hall Car Park Extension – Mr Kallaway has spoken with Ray Crudge and it is hoped that work will commence on 16th June.

PROPOSAL:  Mr Kallaway orders the necessary fencing materials for the stock proof fence from West Country Fencing Services.  Mr Blackmore will provide tractor/trailer to help on 16th June.      

PROPOSED:  Mr Langford 


DECISION: passed (all in favour).

6.3      Wiltown Turbary – Mrs Hay is meeting with advisers from the Blackdown Hills AONB on 13th June and will report back with regard to which plants need to be removed and when.

6.4       Defibrillators – Gareth Weekes has offered to create, print and deliver a leaflet for parishioners to remind them of the locations of the defibrillators.   

PROPOSAL:  Clerk asks Mr Weekes to organise a promotional leaflet advertising the defibrillators in the parish at a cost of £35.00.       

PROPOSED:  Mr Blackmore 


DECISION: passed (all in favour).   
















7.                  District Council Report

Councillor Frank Rosamond reported:-

 Planning Fees are increasing by 20% from 1st July.  There has been a reorganisation of the Planning Department and new Enforcement Officers have been recruited.  The Local Plan will not be reviewed by the Planning Inspectorate until after September, giving MDDC more time to consider comments from The Environment Agency.  MDDC are waiting for DCC to approve funding for exit roads from the A361.  Lord Matthew Taylor, the former MP for Truro and St Austell, spoke to MDDC about small garden village communities of around 5,000 inhabitants.   


8.                 County Council Report

Nothing to report.


9.                 Annual Return

9.1      Annual Governance Statement

PROPOSAL:   The council adopts the Annual Governance Statement for year ending 31st March 2017.

PROPOSED:   Mr Langford

SECONDED:  Mr Bendle

DECISION: passed.  (all in favour)

9.2       Accounting Statements

PROPOSAL:   The council adopts the Accounting Statements for year ending 31st March 2017.

PROPOSED:   Mr Bendle

SECONDED:  Mr Langford

DECISION: passed.  (all in favour)


10.             Finance

Bank Reconciliation

Community a/c


Business Manager







11.             Clerk Report

11.1     Highways will not attend a council meeting but if the parish council has any issues they should be reported in the usual way.

11.2     Police Update – PCSO Tracey Peters reported:-  April - There were 5 logs & 1 crime reported to us.  The logs included two relating to anti-social behaviour & one report of a suspicious van.   May – On 27th May a vehicle was stolen from a field in Clayhidon. It was later located by police units a short distance away, undamaged & with the keys still in the ignition.  The incidents reported to us included a road traffic collision, an incident of anti-social behaviour, a welfare concern, and an abandoned 999 call.

11.3     MDDC 106 Officer is asking for projects from the parish to which 106 monies may be allocated.  Clerk to clarify exactly what 106 monies may be used for.

11.4     The clerk brought to the council’s attention the General Power of Competence (GPC).  The clerk’s CiLCA qualification allows the council to adopt the GPC.  In short, eligible parish councils may pass a resolution to adopt the GPC thus giving them the power to do anything an individual may do, provided it is not prohibited by other legislation.  The clerk will circulate information to consider. 

11.5     A parishioner has offered some hard-core from a building project that the council will use to fill in the hole by Wiltown Green.  Clerk to ask parishioner to liaise with Mr Drew who will coordinate the works.  Mr Langford to speak to Wiltown Farm residents to establish if any additional hard-core is available.

11.6     Website/domain names – clerk has received an email reference Clayhidon domain names and whether the parish council wanted to have its own website, similar to  The parish council is happy with Gareth Weekes’ website and does not wish to pursue anything at this stage. 




















12.             Highways

 Clerk to ask Somerset and Devon County Councils when they are scheduled to cut the verges/hedges at the top of Ford Street and along the top road.



13.             Footpaths

Nothing to report.   


14.             Blackdown Hills Parish Network

Nothing to report.   


15.             Wiltown Turbary

Most of the funding needed to pay for the clearance of the laurel has been secured from various sources (SDF, 106, TAP fund).  This will be completed early autumn.  A team of volunteers is needed to clear the ground of other plants.  Mrs Hay will communicate what is necessary nearer the time.





16.             Clayhidon Charity & Mary Parsons Gift Trust

Nothing to report.   


17.             Correspondence

17.1         A request from a parishioner to report pot holes on Grays Lane was received.  Clerk asked to inform parishioner of reporting procedure on DCC website.

17.2         Following on from information received from Cullompton & Crediton Town Councils, clerk to write letter to MDDC confirming it does not support the idea of un-fencing play areas once existing fencing needs replacing. 

17.3     Healthwatch Voices Spring Edition noted.

17.4     Letter of thanks from St Andrew’s church noted.




18               Items raised by Chairman

Nothing to report.


19               Items raised by Councillors

19.1     Cyclists are camping at the church field over weekend 17/18 June. 

19.2     Clerk to write to the Half Moon about tidying The Pound, as per the terms of the lease.




20               Date of next meeting Monday 17th July 2017 at 7.30pm.  



Meeting closed at 9.04pm