Parish Council‎ > ‎Minutes‎ > ‎

March 2010, Clayhidon Parish Council

Clayhidon Parish Council

 

A Meeting of the above council was held, Monday 8th March 2010 at the Church Room, Clayhidon at 7.30pm.

 

The following Business was brought before the council:-

 

1.           Confirmation of Minutes of Preceding Meeting.

2.           Matters arising from the minutes

3.           Payment of Accounts

4.           Correspondence

5.           General business

6.           Charity Business

 

Present

          Mr MJ Hudson, Acting; Mr RJ Pike; Miss J Ward; Mr AFJ Redwood; Mr RM Kallaway; Councillor Mr FJ Rosamond; County Councillor Mr RF Radford; eight parishioners and Mr MC Osmond, clerk

 

Apology

An apology was given to Mr ME Bendle as unable to attend.

On opening the meeting, Mr Hudson welcomed all present to the meeting.

 

Minutes

            Minutes or Meeting 11th of January were taken as read (copies having been previously circulated) were confirmed and signed after point raised on salt bins needed for Parish, all councillors to note areas in need of bins for Mr Pike who stated that after contact with Mr W Pike "Highways" he noted sites already received, but that at present limited number being put where needed, no change expected.

 

Matters Arising

            Noted Exeter now given Unitary Status. Mr Radford stated the DCC would seek for a change in decision as not supported by them also Mr Rosamond gave a District Council view, although it left the District Councils intact, this was not a good decision for Devon. Noted it would cost a lot to set up and these costs would not be recovered. Concern was stated if Exeter had the cash to make this decision work in the long term as there were many doubts, but it did make a difference to the DCC budget with loss of Exeter. Mr Rosamond stated that District Councils had already started to share key posts with staff and with services to the areas. He thought this would continue more in view of finances and efficiency.

 

Notice Board

            Chairman gave details from pamphlets received on the sizes and costs of wood and plastic (vandal proof). After a general discussion on costs involved agreed Mr Redwood and Mr Pike also give quotes for board of hardwood frame with toughened glass 3’ x 2’ in size. It was agreed as there was no site that served all Parish, the best option was junction in Rosemary Lane in the area of signpost.

 

Roads

            Mr Redwood had written to Mr Matthews, but at time of meeting he had not received a response.

Councillor Vacancy

            Chairman outlined background details as within a time period to fill post. No names were put forward by members and it was agreed to raise at Annual Parish Meeting.

 

County Councillor

            Mr Radford gave a short report on DCC. The budget had now been fixed at 1.98 increase, noted the lowest ever. A review was to be held on the winter past on keeping roads opened by salt and gritting, comments invited from Parish Councils. Noted the cooperation received from farmers in keeping many roads open. DCC policy was that any road not an "A" grade road was not salted, around 20,000 tonnes of salt used. A further £4.9 million increase in the highways budget and to get all roads up to standard would cost £240 million. Members stated of the number of potholes now in the area again and he agreed it was a priority to get them filled. The state of roads in the Somerset was also compared to those of Devon and question asked if anything was being done differently by them which Devon Highways could do. There were 26 gangs at present filling potholes across county.    DCC was opposed to the unitary status of Exeter city and this was followed by a general discussion on the effects this would have on rural parishes. A costing of mobile library was being done and a questionnaire was being sent to Councils, noted one received and chairman would complete. It cost £8 per book to have this service in rural areas, but with out it some people would not have access to this service. DCC was looking into all ways of making savings and to be more efficient with services. Mr Radford on noting cost of the notice board offered £350 from his fund to spend to obtain this, he was thanked by the chairman for his offer, after which he was thanked for his report.

 

District Councillor

            Mr Rosamond pleased to attend again now whether improved. Mid Devon was now working with North Devon on the waste collection and had taken over the recycle service for district. Budget set with a 1.5% rise. Work done across council to cut costs and to be more efficient organisation. Noted the "State of District Debate" to be held and invitation given to attend. Mrs G Talbot now given liaison post for District Council and Parish Councils and the topics covered were listed. Noted parish council had received a letter and noted contents, general agreement need to work together. Mrs J Shadbolt had left to join DCC and at present this post was not being filled, being shared and monitored. The cost to maintain public toilets was being looked into, thought not a good idea to close them as could in long-term affect visitors. Noted these were business rated which only added to costs first place. Councillors not in favour of closures was noted. Thanks given by chairman for his report.

 

Payment of Accounts

            Noted this meeting was for end of year payments and were listed. A letter was read from Mrs B Starkis of BSG for funds consideration, after discussion it was proposed and agreed increase or £25 be made. Clerk had received invoices from Exeter Glebe agent for £232.00 for Garlands Bower but a later letter had been received by Chairman stating of increase. It was agreed Chairman contact letter sender to clarify content. Parish councillors agreed to pay in voice as it covered the coming year 2010/2011 at £232.00.

            Payment to the clerk was discussed and it was proposed, seconded and agreed an increase of £50 to his salary. Thanks given by Clerk.

It was then proposed by Mr R Pike, seconded by Mr R Calloway and agreed the following payments be made.

 

Clayhidon Parish Hall

Use of Hall

£     40.00

Clayhidon PCC

Use of Room

£   156.00

WD Hortop

Printing Minutes

£   120.00

Blackdown Support Group

Grant

£   400.00

Exeter Glebe Board

Field Rent

£   232.00

MJ Hudson

Chairman/Telephone Expenses

£     50.00

M Osmond

 

Salary

Petty Cash/Telephone/Memorial

£   800.00

£     94.52

Miss J Ward

Travel Expenses

£     18.90

 

Clerk had prepared a temporary end of year statements which was read to meeting noting the end of the year balance of £5500.

Miss Ward raised the expenses or Mr G Langford and Clerk agreed to contact him for details.

 

Correspondence

            Mid Devon - consultation document on Infrastructure & Development, Parish Matters January & February, "Notice of State of District Debate", Newsletter of Senior Council for Devon-January. DCC "Intouch" monthly newsletter. Local Council Review. DAPC newsletter March/April. Devon Playing Fields newsletter, Ring & Ride – leaflet on services to the community from transport. NSPCC notice of awareness and helpline.

 

Planning Notices

            Permission Mr T Purvis, Kingsmead for Shower/amenity block. Planning permission Mr J Spencer, West Pitt Farm, Tiverton for change of use of domestic outbuilding to light industrial and access change at Acre Ridge. Mr & Mrs Johns, Hunters Lodge -- direction of an agricultural building now withdrawn. Other correspondence listed and noted.

 

General Business

            The state of French Nut Tree Hill from surface water and at times much ice was discussed, noted spring rising at one site but this was different site and made length of road a hazard. Drain at Village Hall blocked and water ran down road to Hidon Mill, again at times ice on this. Various potholes again in Callers Lane, top of Rosemary Lane, Gladhayes Farm area and others listed. Mr R Pike agreed to contact Mr W Pike "Highways department" and if possible arrange a site visit for problems and Mr A Redwood would meet him. Attention drawn to parked vehicles and items on road at Wiltown Farm by Mr P Govier. Noted this was a possible environment problem as well as highways, the Chairman agreed to look at the options as it was not the only farm in parish with this problem. The chairman then opened the meeting of the parishioners present for any items from them.

 

Wind Turbine

            Parishioners present from Garlandhayes/Wiltown area spoke of concerns over wind turbine asking what guidelines government had in place. The chairman replied did not know the details of government guidelines as this was for District Council, but the AONB in particular did not at present have any guideline policy on the height or capacity. But did state the present application wind turbine would be seen in their area.

 

Next Meeting

            As there was no other business it was agreed the next meeting date of 10th of May 2010 at the Parish Hall, the Chairman then thanked all those present for attending and closed the meeting.

Comments